Wednesday, March 7, 2007

While you weren't sleeping

While you weren't sleeping: A follow up to "While you were sleeping"

The door opened in a whisper that was certainly inaudible to all but the mom ear. In fact my ear, which had been happily slumbering seconds ago, was not even sure enough to wake up entirely. A few seconds? minutes? hours? later I heard the unmistakable sound of a kid with a snotty nose breathing just inches away. I was laying with my back side to the door, so I couldn't be sure exactly where Ella was, but I knew it was close. What time was it, anyway? I opened my eyes just enough to get a glimpse of early morning light in the window, then closed them quickly.

I heard the breathing get even closer. Ella had hoisted herself onto the bed and was leaning over me, trying to see my face in order to ascertain my state of consciousness. I kept my eyes closed and didn't move a muscle. It was critical for this 2 year old to believe I was still asleep. Ella must have been convinced, because I felt her move away. And then I felt a cool breeze on my backside as she pulled the covers back to reveal my underwear, which she decided she had to touch. Then all was quiet for a while, and I dared to believe she had gone back in her room. That's when I heard the drawer on my night stand open.

I have no idea what she was looking for in there, but apparently she wasn't finding it because the rummaging went on for quite some time. She opened and shut the drawer several times, collecting who knows what treasures, likely ones little kids shouldn't be touching. She finally settled on highjacking the alarm clock, which I heard fall to the ground as she tried to whisk it away. I found it in her room later that day.

Before long she was back up in the bed again checking to see if I was awake yet. I continued to feign sleep as she pet me gently on the head and smoothed my hair. I felt a very delicate kiss on the top of my head. Damn it, she was being cute. I stuck to my resolve, though, and kept my eyes closed. Then she gave me a bigger kiss as she whispered "I love you, Mommy" in my ear. Damn it, damn it, damn it! I had to respond to that one, so I rolled over and told her I love her, too, but I would also love it if she got back in her own bed.

"Please share your pillow with me, Mommy," my buddy asked as she snuggled in next to me. She may be cute, but she smelled like poop and it was apparent I hadn't brushed her teeth last night. It was time to get up and face the morning and her diaper. When is daylight savings time again? I've never been so excited to lose an hour of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment