Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Leaning



Ever since my baby started pulling up a month and a half ago that's all she wants to do. Up, down, up, down, up, down all day long. Getting herself into a standing position amuses her immensely and how proud she is of herself is written all over her face. The problem is I'm her favorite leverage and, like all babies, she has a built in honing device that helps her track the mom at all times, even when the mom happens to be hiding in the closet. Although there are a couple of good end tables (one of which even has oh-so-tempting sharp corners), a couch, some chairs and a sister readily available, my baby is still driven to climb up me.

I was sitting on the floor folding laundry when I felt some drool in my ear and looked up to see my baby standing there beside me.
I was emptying the dishwasher when I felt a tug on my shorts and there she was, standing there looking up at me.
I was sitting at the computer trying to write "Best Friends" when the screen went blank and there was my baby, standing beside me proudly holding the cord.
I was making dinner when she pulled down my ill-fitting pants as she made her way up my leg.
I put her outside, but before I could lock the door there she was, standing right beside me.

I fear I'm going to have to duct tape her legs together.

One of these days she's not going to need me to stand. I'll look over my shoulder and she'll be standing there all by herself.
The time will come when I look down for my baby but she won't be there--she'll be looking me in the eye instead of leaning on my leg.

Maybe one day I'll miss her needing me to lean on, but right now dinner's burning, the cat just peed on the comforter, Ella's running around with a pair of scissors, there are people at the door who want to fertilize my lawn, and I just can't get this kid off my leg.

Don't be left out! Get an email notification of new stories by entering your name in the subscription box in the upper right hand corner.

2 comments:

  1. I hear that! Sometimes when I wash the dishes, Ellis will crawl up behind me and start sucking on the back of my leg and laugh hysterically. I fear that Ellis is never going to walk because I swear I lug that child around at least 70% of my day. This morning he was hugging me so hard that he would cry if his cheek was not next to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there a time ago. Now my little girl is 17 and going to graduate high school. Oh where did those days go?

    ReplyDelete